Microsoft announced last week that Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621) has been moved to the Windows Insider Release Preview channel. Windows 11 22H2 is the latest major update to Microsoft’s current consumer operating system and brings new features such as Smart App Control, a redesigned Task Manager (with efficiency mode), and new touchscreen gestures (among other features). Additionally, all versions of Windows 11 (including Pro) now require a Microsoft account.
Microsoft will begin rolling out Windows 11 22H2 to eligible PCs in the coming weeks and months, but we&rsquo ; put together a handy guide to help you get the update now. Although Build 22621 is designated as a Release Preview, it’s the final version of the update that Microsoft will distribute to the general public in waves.
How to get the Windows 11 22H2 update: 2 ways
You can install the Windows 11 22H2 update early in two different ways. The easiest way is to go to the Windows Update site and join the Windows Insider program (if you haven’t already). Once that is done, you will be able to install the update from Windows Update. The second method is to create an ISO so that you can mount and update within Windows 10/Windows 11 or perform a clean install by transferring the ISO to a bootable USB thumb drive.
Obtaining the Windows 11 22H2 via the Windows Insider Program
Assuming you’re not already a member of the Windows Insider Program on the PC you wish to upgrade, here’s how to sign up. If you are already a member, then you’d already have this build or, if you’re in the beta or dev channels, you’d have an even newer one.
1. Navigate to Settings → Windows Update.
2. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Windows Insider Program, which brings up the following screen:
3. Click the Get started button.
4. If you haven’t already joined the Windows Insider Program, the screen below will ask you to link an existing Microsoft Account. Click the Link an account button.
5. Select your Microsoft account and click continue when prompted with a list of accounts.
6. Select Release Preview from the list of available channels and click continue. Insiders get a choice of:
8. Click the ‘Continue Again’ button when prompted to review the Microsoft agreement to install Windows 11 22H2.
8. Restart your device by clicking Restart now or you can save some things and restart manually.
9. Navigate to Settings -> Windows Update Once your PC boots into Windows 11, You should see an option that says Windows 11, version 22H2 is available.
10. Click the Download & Install.
It will take a few minutes to download Windows 11 22H2.
How long it takes to download and install depends on the speed of your PC and your Internet connection. And that’s&rsquo ; that’s all. Even though Windows 11 22H2 is said to be the “final” version of the software from Microsoft, we’re stillrecommend that you have an up-to-date backup before you carry out any major updates to the operating system. Our motto is that it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Creating a Windows 11 ISO with UUP Dump
UUP Dump allows you to create the ISO using the very latest Windows Insider builds from Microsoft. In addition, UUP Dump automates the process using scripts instead of downloading an older build from Microsoft (builds that are often not completely up-to-date). To use UUP Dump:
1. Navigate to uupdump.net.
2. Click the Windows 11 22H2 button above the Quick options banner.
3. Click on Windows 11, version 22H2 (22621.4) amd64 at the top of the list to get the latest Windows 11 ISO.
4. Click Next.
5. Select the Windows edition you want and click Next. We chose Windows Home for our Windows 11 ISO.
6. Select “Download and convert to ISO” and check “Include updates.” Then click “Create download package.” A small zip file will download to your PC. This is not the Windows 11 ISO, but it will be used to download it.
7. Unzip the file and place its contents in a dedicated folder.
8. Double-click uup_download_windows.cmd in the folder with the downloaded files.
Double click the uup_download_windows.cmd file.
9. Click “Run Anyway,” if Windows 11 warns you this is an unrecognized app.
A batch file will open in a command prompt window that will download all the required files from Microsoft and create a Windows 11 ISO file for you. The process could take a while, depending on your internet connection and the performance of your processor.
10. Press 0 to exit when the script finishes downloading the Windows 11 ISO.
A Windows 11 ISO file will appear in the folder where you placed uup_download_windows.cmd.