- Method 1: Disabling startup applications
- Method 2: Power settings
- Option 1: Updated experience
- Option 2: Classic UI
- Method 3: Updating the system
- Method 4: Disabling visual effects
- Method 5: Defragment your hard drive
- Method 6: Scan for viruses
- Method 7: Adjust privacy settings
- Method 8: Clean up disk space
- Method 9: Disabling services
- Method 10: Updating drivers
Pay attention! All steps in this article are performed on Windows 11 Pro version 21H2 (22000.527). This should be taken into account, as in subsequent updates, developers may make changes to the graphic design and location of some interface elements. But despite this, the general essence of all ways to speed up the computer will remain relevant.
Method 1: Disabling startup applications
Some programs start automatically in the background immediately after turning on the computer. Accordingly, the consumption of resources, especially RAM, increases. For low-power devices, this can be critical, so you should disable such programs at startup:
- Expand the search menu by clicking on the corresponding icon on the taskbar, then enter the query “Task Manager” and click on the same name item displayed in the results.
Attention! If it is not possible to launch the desired utility in the described way, you can use others. A separate article on our website contains material that lists all the methods for calling the “Task Manager”. Recommended reading.
- Click on the “Details” button located in the lower left corner of the window to expand all the features. Note that this step can be skipped if done before.
- Go to the Startup tab and select the application you want to deactivate. After that, click the Disable button.
Pay attention! All programs that automatically start during computer startup have a corresponding parameter in the “Status” column.
In order not to end the processes of all the components that were just disabled manually, it is recommended to restart the computer.
Method 2: Power settings
The operating system has special services that are responsible for the computer’s power consumption. A low value of this indicator causes a decrease in performance, since a lower voltage is supplied to the component devices. You can change this setting to improve the speed of your computer.
Option 1: Updated experience
In Windows 11, in System Settings implemented a separate menu for setting power consumption parameters. To improve performance, do the following:
- Open the System Preferences window in any way you can. Universal involves using the Win + I hotkeys. Then, while in the System section, go to the Power menu.
- Change the Power Mode setting from the drop-down list to Max. performance”.
- Despite the fact that changes are coming to take effect immediately after following the instructions, restart your computer for best results.
Option 2: Classic UI
If the updated interface does not work correctly, you can use the classic one to complete the task. Do the following:
- Open the Start menu and type “Control Panel” into the search box. In the results that appear, click on the application of the same name.
- In the window that opens, set the view mode to Large Icons and go to the Power Options menu.
- If necessary, expand the “Show additional schemes” drop-down list by clicking on the arrow on the right side of this item.
- Set the toggle to High Performance and restart your computer.
Please note! It is recommended to use Balanced mode on laptops as high performance uses a lot of power and drains the battery faster.
Method 3: Updating the system
Windows 11 has been released relatively recently, so some services and components of the operating system may be unstable, thereby reducing the performance of the entire computer. For this reason, it is recommended that you keep an eye on updates released by the developers and install them as soon as possible after release. Do the following:
- Open the options window using the Win + I hotkeys. After that, use the sidebar on the left to go to the “Windows Update” section and click on the “Check for Updates” button.
- Wait for the Microsoft internal database analysis to complete. If updates are found, their automatic installation with preloading will begin. You can follow the progress of the operation directly in the options menu.At the end of the procedure, you should restart your computer to finally install the updates. Therefore, click on the “Restart now” button that appears.
The method of installing major updates that are critical to the operating system was described above, but in addition to them, there are also optional ones that can also improve the performance of your computer.
- From the “Windows Update” section, a little lower on page, open the Advanced Options menu.
- Find “Optional Updates” and left-click on it to go to the appropriate section.
- On the page that opens, expand the available drop-down lists, and then check the boxes next to all available items. Finally, click the Download and Install button.
Pay attention! You can follow the progress of the optional updates installation procedure in the main menu of the Windows Update section.
Method 4: Disabling visual effects
Various effects and animations have been created by the developers of Windows 11 for purely decorative purposes, that require additional computer resources to display. High-performance devices do not need to turn them off, unlike low-power ones, for which even a slight consumption of RAM is critical.
To remove visual effects in the Windows 11 operating system, do the following:
- Open the computer properties window. The easiest way to do this is through the context menu of the “This PC” icon located on the desktop by default.
Pay attention! If there is no corresponding shortcut, you can get to the desired section through the system settings. To do this, open the settings window with the keyboard shortcut Win + I and, being in the “System” tab, go to the “About the system” page, the link to which is located at the very bottom of the window.
- Expand the “Device specifications” drop-down list and in the “Related links” block » click on the line “Advanced system settings”.
- In the window that appears, while in the “Advanced” tab, click on the “Settings” button, which is located in the “Performance” block.
- Go to the “Visual effects” section and check the box next to “Give best performance”. After that, click on the “Apply” button.
Pay attention! It is not necessary to turn off all visual effects to improve PC performance. We recommend leaving checkboxes next to “Smooth jagged screen fonts”, “Display window contents while dragging”, and “Display transparent selection rectangle”. This configuration will preserve the familiar look of the operating system, reducing the main load on the RAM and CPU.
All changes you make are applied immediately, so you don’t need to restart your computer.
Method 5: Defragment your hard drive
Over time, the information recorded on the hard drive becomes fragmented, which causes the equipment to take longer to find the data it needs. As a result, the entire computer slows down. To avoid performance degradation, you should periodically defragment your drive. You can do this using the built-in tools of the operating system.
- Open the file manager using any available method. Pressing the Win + E hotkeys can be considered universal. After that, go to the “This PC” section and right-click on the disk that you want to defragment. In the context menu that appears, select Properties.
- After opening the corresponding window, go to the “Tools” tab and click on the “Optimize” button, which is located in the “Optimize and defragment the disk” block.
- In the list of partitions, re-select the one you need and click Analyze to start scanning the drive for the percentage of data fragmentation relative to the total amount of information.
- Initialize the defragmentation procedure by clicking Optimize. It is worth noting that this is not necessary if the disk granularity value is below 5%.
- Wait for the operation to complete, then continue to use the computer as normal – no restart required.
Important! The defragmentation procedure is required only for hard drives, since solid state drives (SSD) do not slow down their work in case of data fragmentation. Media type can be found directly in the optimization window in the column of the same name.
In addition to the standard tools, third-party developers release special programs for defragmenting a hard drive. They often have a large set of functions and allow you to optimize the process of normalizing the drive. There is a separate article on our website with a brief overview of this software and links to a more detailed review, we recommend that you read it.
More details: Programs for defragmenting a hard drive
Method 6: Scan for viruses
Malware infiltrating a system can cause many components to become unstable, causing your computer to run slower. Therefore, it is necessary to periodically scan Windows 11 for viruses, but this should be done with specialized software from a third-party developer, since it is assumed that the standard security program was no longer able to recognize the threat at the stage of its initialization.
Despite the fact that each antivirus application has a different interface and set of functions, they all work on the same principle. The user must go to the main menu, select the type of scan and disk area to scan, and then click on the button to start the process.
Pay attention! If possible, analyze all partitions of the drive, as this will increase the chance of detecting malicious code. It is worth noting that such a procedure will require more time to complete.
If you have difficulty choosing antivirus software, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the material on our website, which is devoted to this topic.It briefly reviews the applications in this category and provides links to full reviews.
Method 7: Adjust privacy settings
With user data privacy in Windows 11 has many options associated with it. Some of them are aimed at improving interaction with the system, but some of them spend computer resources on solving optional tasks, resulting in a decrease in performance. To speed up your computer, you need to disable some services. This is done as follows:
- Open the system settings in a convenient way, for this you can use the Win + I combination. In the window that appears on the sidebar on the left, go to the “Privacy and Protection” section. Next, go to the Voice Features menu.
- Deactivate the “Voice recognition on the network” function by switching the corresponding switch to the “Off” position.
- Return to the previous menu and open the “Diagnosis and Feedback” section.
- Expand each drop-down list one by one and disable the options displayed there by setting the sliders to an inactive state.
- Open the hidden menu “Delete diagnostic data” and click on the “Delete” button that appears.
- Lower on the page, in the “Feedback and suggestions” section, expand the “Frequency of feedback” drop-down list, in which select the value “Never”.< /li>
- Go back to the main “Privacy and Security” menu again , where this time open the Activity Log section.
- Uncheck “Save my activity log on this device”, then click on the “Clear” button and confirm this action in the pop-up dialog.
- Go back to the main menu and go to the “Search Permissions” section.
- Down to the “Search for content in the cloud” settings block and turn off the “Microsoft account” and “Work or school account” toggles.then click on the “Clear device search history” button.
- Go back to the menu again and this time go to the “Windows Search” section.
- Expand the hidden menu “Find files” and set the switch to “Classic style”. After that, follow the link “Configure search locations”.In the window that appears, in the list of directories for indexing, select the first folder and click the “Change” button.
- Uncheck all items in the Edit Selected Locations list and click OK.
- Do the same for all other directories. Then click the close button.
After After completing the steps, you will be able to close all active windows and restart your computer so that all the changes you have made take effect.
Method 8: Clean up disk space
The workload of the hard disk (HDD) indirectly affects the operation of the computer.It is worth noting that a solid state drive (SSD) is not affected by this problem, since each memory cell on it is indexed separately and accessed directly, which allows you to maintain a stable information processing speed. But owners of hard drives should periodically clean. To do this, the easiest way is to use the built-in tool of the operating system:
- Expand the Start menu and enter the query “Disk Cleanup” in the search box. In the resulting list of results, click on the application of the same name to launch it.
- In the dialog box that opens, select the disk whose free space you want to increase and click OK.
- Click the “Clean up system files” button — this will erase more data.
- After repeated select the drive partition and scan the data in the window that opens, in the “Delete the following files” list, check the boxes next to all items, then click “OK”. .jpg” alt=”How to speed up Windows 11″
- Confirm your intentions in the dialog that appears. To do this, click the “Delete files” button.
- Wait for the procedure to complete. Its duration depends entirely on the speed of the drive and the volume of files being deleted.
Pay attention! We already have an article on our website that describes in detail all the available disk space cleaning methods. If you have difficulty following the instructions, we recommend that you read it.
More: Freeing up memory on your computer
Method 9: Disabling services
The operating system consists of a set of components and services that are responsible for the correct functioning of a variety of software on a computer. But by deactivating some, you can reduce the load on components, thereby increasing overall performance. It is worth noting that only those services should be disabled that are not required for comfortable use of the computer.
- Launch the “Task Manager” using the hot key combination Ctrl + Shift + Esc. In the window that opens, go to the “Services” tab and click on the “Open Services” link, which is located in the lower left corner.
Note: This is not the only method of launching the “Task Manager” in the operating system. There is an article on our site that offers six other ways to complete the task, so if you have any difficulties completing the described steps, we recommend that you read it.
- In the presented Select the service you want to disable from the list. Right click it and then click Properties.
- In the window that appears, stop the component by clicking the Stop button.
For convenience, below is a list of common services that indirectly affect the operation of the computer and are not of value to all users. Familiarize yourself with them and disable them if necessary using the instructions provided earlier.
|Name||Description / Functions|
|Windows Search||Required for indexing files on the system. Periodically scans disk space, significantly loading the computer.|
|Windows Backup||Greatly reduces the size of system data on the C drive through archiving. If there is too much free space, it is recommended to disable it.|
|Computer Browser||Manage computers that are on the same network. If there is no connection to other devices, you can turn it off.|
|Secondary login||Required to create multiple accounts on the same computer.|
|Print Manager||Launches the appropriate components for working with printing devices. If the printer is not going to be connected, it should be deactivated.|
|HomeGroup Provider||An obsolete home network module, often used by specialists, but not needed by the average user.|
|Tablet PC Input Service||Required when connecting peripheral devices with touch panels (graphic tablet, TouchScreen screens, etc.) .|
|Portable device enumerator service||Serves to synchronize media data of portable devices with standard Windows Media Player.|
|Bluetooth Support Service||Ensures correct operation of the Bluetooth hardware module. If the computer is not equipped with this transmitter, the service can be disabled.|
|BitLocker Drive Encryption||Required to encrypt information on a hard drive. In the case of using a computer at home, it is useless for the average user.|
|Remote Desktop Services||Standard tool for obtaining remote access to a computer.|
|Remote Registry||A service that greatly reduces the security of the operating system. Must be disabled if the registry does not need to be edited via remote access.|
|Fax||Allows you to connect, configure and operate fax equipment. If it doesn’t exist, it should be disabled.|
|Windows Update||Responsible for updating the operating system, systematically checks for updates and offers to install them. Disabling is not recommended, but if the performance of the computer is low, it will reduce resource consumption.|
Method 10: Updating drivers
Drivers in the operating system serve as a link between components Windows and computer accessories. If this software is outdated or does not work correctly, overall performance will be reduced. You should update the drivers, for which you can use the standard tool.
- Open the Start menu and enter the query “Device Manager” in the search box. In the resulting list of results, click on the application of the same name to launch it.
- Expand the branch of the hardware whose driver needs to be updated. Click on the name and select “Properties” in the context menu that appears.
- In the new window, go to the “Driver” tab, in which click on the “Update Driver” button.
- When choosing a software installation method, click on “Search for drivers automatically”.
- Wait for the scanning of the Microsoft internal driver database to finish and then install it automatically. This may take some time.
- Do the same for the remaining hardware in the Device Manager list.
Important! Pay special attention to video card and CPU drivers, as they have a greater impact on the performance of the entire system .
In some cases, it is not possible to install software through Device Manager. Then you should use other methods – download the driver from the manufacturer’s website or install specialized software for this purpose. Separate articles on our website describe these methods in detail, so be sure to read them if necessary.